When you decide to move to another country, this question comes to our minds: Will I be able to work there? Luckily, the answer is “yes”, working in Malta is possible.

  • If you are a citizen of the European Union (EU) it will be easier. You will have to calculate how long you want to stay there, in case it is more than 3 months, you will have to apply for a Maltese ID in an office on the island.

It is a very simple procedure!

  • If you come from South America you will have to do some more paperwork, but it will be easier with this information. Keep reading!

WARNING! If your country allows you to enter as a tourist without a visa, you can do all these procedures from Malta, so you just need to be clear about your plans. The countries that require a tourist visa to enter Malta are: Cuba, Bolivia, Ecuador, Dominican Republic and Venezuela.

Once you have settled on the island, you will have to wait 3 months to apply for a student visa, which will allow you to work 20 hours a week if your stay in Malta is longer than 90 days.

So, what do we need to obtain the student visa?

  • A letter of acceptance from your English school.
  • Passport valid for 3 months after the end of the course.
  • Confirmation of accommodation during your stay.
  • Medical insurance with a minimum coverage of 30.000€.
  • Proof of payment to the school where you will study.
  • Proof of financial solvency of 19€/day for the duration of your visa.
  • The receipt of your visa (the cost is 70€) with passport size photos.
  • Photocopy or original of your bank statement along with a photocopy of your credit/debit card.

You may extend your visa up to a maximum of 365 days if your course requires it, proving that your attendance has been satisfactory.If you exceed 365 days, you must apply for a residence permit within the appropriate time frame, before your student visa expires.

As it was mentioned before, if you come from a Latin American country that requires a visa to enter, (Cuba, Bolivia, Ecuador, Dominican Republic and Venezuela) you must apply for it before traveling (Schengen Visa). Remember that this visa allows you to:

  • Study for a maximum of 90 days.
  • You will not be able to work during those 3 months.

To apply for it you will have to fill out a form and wait for a response. It does not usually take more than two weeks, but we recommend that you do it with time to have everything ready for your trip.

Once you know how to get to Malta, you will think, what can I work for?

Well, these are the offers you will find:

  • Hospitality: Malta receives a large percentage of its income from tourism, so in this sector you will find jobs as a waiter or in different positions in hotels. Keep in mind that the waiter job is not very well paid (about 5€/hour) but, it will help you to earn some money while you find something else.
  • Audiovisual sector: you will be able to register in some agencies to work as a walk-on actor since the island is a perfect scenery to shoot movies and series.
  • Betting shops: it is curious, but Malta is home to many of the headquarters of this type of business. So maybe they need your language, to work in a call center, community manager, content writer….

Depending on the job you apply for, a level of English will be required, but you are there to improve it, so study hard and get what you want!

Do you want more information? We’re happy to help,

Contact us!